Shooters Freehold

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Shooters Freehold! A place for firearms enthusiasts to gather.

Author Topic: Anyone into Boating?  (Read 1441 times)

Freehold Marshal

• Chief Site Admin
  • Administrator
    • shootersfreehold.com
Anyone into Boating?
« on: June 28, 2015, 01:53:15 PM »

I've owned a few from this 50 foot sloop

to rowboats and canoes. My last boat was a 12 ft aluminum boat with an electric motor. Hoping to get something suitable for fishing again some day.
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

budroe

• Administrator
Re: Anyone into Boating?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:45:45 PM »

Never owned anything like that sloop (beautiful by the way), but I've had a couple of boats.  For a short while I had a nice bass boat; got rid of it the last time the Missus and I took an overseas assignment.  Bass boats are standard fare here in Texas, I know guys who don't live within a 100 miles of enough water to float a log in - and they own some amazing bass rigs.  Most of the real fishing I've done down here in Texas is by charter boat fishing off the coast.  I'm thinking about buying a small aluminum jon boat and a 2 1/2 HP gas motor for fishing in some of the creeks and rivers around here.  I'm looking to find something that will fit in the back of the truck, and not weigh too much to drag in and out.   Nothing to worry about except the snakes - of course I do hate some snakes.
Shoot, Move and Communicate!!!

Darryl

• (2quads)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 08:05:06 PM »

I would have loved to just live on a boat when I was younger.
A wife and 4 kids put a stop to that dream.
NUTS.

Freehold Marshal

• Chief Site Admin
  • Administrator
    • shootersfreehold.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 08:20:10 PM »

I'm thinking about buying a small aluminum jon boat and a 2 1/2 HP gas motor for fishing in some of the creeks and rivers around here.  I'm looking to find something that will fit in the back of the truck, and not weigh too much to drag in and out.
That's how I transported my aluminum boat. That boat was stolen out of the back of mt pickup by some local meth heads up in Washington. Growing up in the south I remember flippin plenty of water mocassins overboard. Hated dealing with em when I would go out at night after bullfrogs.

Darryl
That Sloop was built as a racer and not real comfortable as a live aboard it was a pleasure to sail though and very responsive.

Brian45

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 05:05:40 AM »

That's a beautiful sailboat Mike. I had a 30 foot sloop from 1985 until a couple years ago when I sold it for a song as I couldn't handle sails so well with my back issues. Had a lot of fun on it and sailed on Lake Huron. I've had a few smaller boats too and just sold a mini bass boat I hadn't used in years. Last year I sold my Four Winds jet boat again because it wouldn't be good on my back to be bouncing around in it.
Hopefully some day I can get a fishing boat to mess around in. Right now I can go fishing with my brother on his pontoon boat and it's fun as he has it set up with 5 or 6 fishing chairs.

Freehold Marshal

• Chief Site Admin
  • Administrator
    • shootersfreehold.com
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 11:49:12 AM »

A 30 footer is about as large as you can go and still be practical to haul on a trailer. Good size for a lake boat. My boat had roller furling main and jib powered by electric winches I could easily singlehand the vessel from the helm station. The only thing I really needed a crew for was when I wanted to set the Spinnaker. Moorage was spendy I paid $800 a month in moorage fees and had to charter the vessel out to cover expences.

Brian45

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 12:40:27 PM »

Mike, my boat exceeded maximum width for road travel and was 10,000 pounds so a trailer was not feasible without a permit. I paid just over what you paid per month for a full season here and what a rip, no wonder you had to charter.
I didn't have roller furling as I was too cheap to buy it and they always seemed to fail at the worst moment for friends. Still with my autopilot I used to singlehand my boat and sailed 125 miles to Canada alone one time. Takes some planning to do things but a little caution and a safety harness are all you really need.
I only flew my spinnaker when I had extra help on board which was rare. Another reason I did sell the boat is my soon to be ex-wife never did the hang of sailing and was little help. She lost interest in it long ago and wasn't so much fun anymore. Maybe I should have kept my first wife as she was a good first mate. :)

Freehold Marshal

• Chief Site Admin
  • Administrator
    • shootersfreehold.com
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 12:57:47 PM »

I didn't have roller furling as I was too cheap to buy it and they always seemed to fail at the worst moment for friends.
I'm a believer in redundancy in critical systems I could if need be over ride the electrics and operate those winches with hand cranks.

Brian45

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 07:01:10 AM »

Mike, I did keep a lot of spares and extra things on my boat I might need. Even had a pair of bolt cutters should I ever be dismasted and needed to cut rigging so I didn't whole the boat.
I was with some friends once on their Hunter 33 with roller furling. It got messed up and we couldn't get the sail wound back again. It was fortunate there were three of us experienced sailors on board and it was a moderate wind with plenty of room to maneuver in. We did finally get it sorted out and working again. They had the boat many years and was first time they ever had trouble with it but did make me thankful I had a more simple system to deal with even though it took more effort on my part. Even so a buddy sailing with me once turned a hank upside down when he was attaching the head sail. It was enough to jam the sail up and took some effort to get it down. Later I kept a headsail hanked on the boat in a sail cover to eliminate that problem. I did think about putting a downhaul on it too to make it easier to get down but never did get around to doing so.

KD5NRH

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 10:23:13 AM »

I've thought about building one of these :)

Seems about right for my usual style of fishing.

Stevejet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 01:31:07 AM »

Ahh yes, the S.S. Minnow II.

gunfan

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 03:45:44 PM »

None. Outside of the Navy (and a pleasure craft Dad bought when we were children called the Imp because he had bought it on impulse). As far as I have known, "a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money".

Scott
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:47:19 PM by gunfan »
"The Administation of Justice should be tempered by mercy, but mercy shouldn't interfere with the Administration of Justice" -Gunfan

"Living well is the best revenge". - George Herbert

Freehold Marshal

• Chief Site Admin
  • Administrator
    • shootersfreehold.com
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 03:57:40 PM »

As far as I have known, "a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money".
That's true and you can sure pour a lot of money into them. I wouldn't mind having another boat but the next one will be something trailer able and more suited to fishing.

Brian45

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 07:34:24 AM »

I've put a lot of money into boats over the years I probably shouldn't have. I spent a lot on upgrades on my sailboat and once put $1500 on a credit card for my slip rental as I didn't have the money. Poor choice and paid interest on it for years until I paid the card off.
I got my jet boat at a decent price used but I didn't know it had broken motor mounts. The engine raised up enough to strip out the crankshaft and jet drive input. Cost me a bundle to have fixed and should have known better. Later it wouldn't start and sold it cheap to my buddy. He found all that was wrong was the shifter safety switch wasn't engaging properly and an easy fix.
I let a 7 1/2 hp Mercury sit in my shed a few years as I wasn't using it on my mini bass boat anymore. Didn't really think about it and when I got it out to sell in a garage sale I found the motor was locked up on it. I gave it to my cousin as he and his buddy will try fixing it.
Like I said I've spent too much on boats over the years. Next one will be a simple fishing boat on a trailer when I find one used at a decent price.