Shooters Freehold

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Shooters Freehold! A place for firearms enthusiasts to gather.

Author Topic: Got a couple of Nordic knives orderd & on the way  (Read 873 times)

Blammer

• Global Moderator
Got a couple of Nordic knives orderd & on the way
« on: March 20, 2016, 12:12:02 PM »

Finally found a source for the Norwegian Helle blades. Triple laminate stainless blades that take a razor edge & keep them. Have one 4i/4" fixed blade & a 4" Folder on order.
Most of the social history of the Western World, over the past three decades has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.
Thomas Sowell

budroe

• Administrator
Re: Got a couple of Nordic knives orderd & on the way
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 06:58:08 PM »

Love to see photos when you get them!!!
Shoot, Move and Communicate!!!

Blammer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 05:02:20 PM »

Well, the 2 knives came in via UPS from www.piragis .com a Minnesota outfitter with a full line of Norwegian Helle laminated stainless blades, also a selection of Finnish blades of high carbon tool steel.
The 2 I ordered are their Sigmund fixed blade -{ There is an AVI of the owner of the firm demonstrating this knife} & a catalog of the folder I ordered, called a Dokka...= surprise, it is a lockblade design... A little stiff to work closed, but OH MY- THESE BABIES ARE SHARP!  8)
Most of the social history of the Western World, over the past three decades has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.
Thomas Sowell

Blammer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 09:46:30 AM »

Epilogue on the Helle knives: The "Sigmund" fixed blade is a real workhorse... Boned out a ham for Easter with no need to resharpen the blade & cleans up nicely.
 The "Dokka" folder presented a bit of a challenge to work around the unexpected bladelocking feature = WAY too stiff to close without resorting to a padded Visegrip >:( Solved THAT problem by breaking out my Dremel grinder tool & deepening the finger notches in the curly beech handle scales. The folder now opens & closes easily.
Thomas Sowell

StrawHat

• My website
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 06:40:54 PM »

Love to see photos when you get them!!!

I'll second that request.

Kevin
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com