Shooters Freehold

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Shooters Freehold! A place for firearms enthusiasts to gather.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What do you carry?  (Read 7841 times)

gunfan

Re: What do you carry?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 07:03:09 PM »

I must confess, sometimes I carry one of my Auto knives. (One of my favorites is my Kershaw Launch 2).

Scott
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:24:18 PM by gunfan »
"The Administation of Justice should be tempered by mercy, but mercy shouldn't interfere with the Administration of Justice" -Gunfan

"Living well is the best revenge". - George Herbert

Sheepdog

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 07:21:02 PM »

Never believed much in confession-unless to the One who keeps secrets. I suspect a lot of folks aren't real careful what they put into their pockets-and just hope nobody checks. Such is life, and it's good to be alive to live it.

Would you believe that in TEXAS one of the prohibited knives is  a "Bowie knife"?! The knife folks are trying to change it. No two-edged, either. A knife is a knife is a knife, if you're stuck with it.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:24:36 PM by Sheepdog »

gunfan

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »

Never believed much in confession-unless to the One who keeps secrets. I suspect a lot of folks aren't real careful what they put into their pockets-and just hope nobody checks. Such is life, and it's good to be alive to live it.

Would you believe that in TEXAS one of the prohibited knives is  a "Bowie knife"?! The knife folks are trying to change it. No two-edged, either. A knife is a knife is a knife, if you're stuck with it.

Psssst! (Hint: It's legal here)! Oregon is good that way.

Scott
"The Administation of Justice should be tempered by mercy, but mercy shouldn't interfere with the Administration of Justice" -Gunfan

Sheepdog

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 07:28:11 PM »

Pssst. Hint: It HASN'T BEEN here. ;)

Freehold Marshal

• Chief Site Admin
  • Administrator
    • shootersfreehold.com
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 07:30:56 PM »

In Tennessee both Bowies and Arkansas Toothpicks were banned back in the 1840's
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

gunfan

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 07:40:58 PM »

Pssst. Hint: It HASN'T BEEN here. ;)

The Knife Lobby is woking on changing that. (I hope that it is accomplished in our lifetime). The SCA hasn't slowed down crime one bit. Maybe we can get the legislation to pull their collective heads from "where the sun doesn't shine" and listen.

Scott

Sheepdog

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 07:41:48 PM »

Society's efforts to make boys be good just don't work well. Following that logic, we'd be building houses with 12 oz. tack hammers. Instead, make it 5 years if you hit someone with a hammer.

gunfan, they're making quite a bit of progress lately-the national group's working hard-I forget their name.

gunfan

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 08:18:29 PM »

Sheepdog:

There's nothing quite as satisfying as hearing the "snap" of an auto knife blade stopping in the open position. ;) Believe me when I tell you that there's a real comfort when you know the blade has locked in the open position. I have a Colonial Model  #550 (made in the U.S. of A) with a Black Oxide 440C  (58Rc hardness) blade that stays sharp and has a Lifetime Warranty. $69.95 + shipping (MSRP) is a darned good value for the money.

www.colonialknifecorp.com

Look it up. You won't be disappointed.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:25:50 PM by gunfan »

budroe

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2015, 09:14:45 PM »

I carried a MOD Dieter CQD Mk I when I went out to Afghanistan for the first time.  Actually bumped into my son in Islamabad (he was an Army Ranger, and was going out to the same place I had just left).  I passed it to him, he still has it.  I later picked up an MOD Mk II and carried it through several several tours in Iraq and a few tdy's to Afghanistan.  I carried it in my pocket for a couple years after I retired, then passed it to my youngest son who's in the BP.  I like to keep a small, sharp pocket knife on me to help with chores, but no longer have much interest in a fighting type folder.
Shoot, Move and Communicate!!!

gunfan

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2015, 09:24:47 PM »

I carried a MOD Dieter CQD Mk I when I went out to Afghanistan for the first time.  Actually bumped into my son in Islamabad (he was an Army Ranger, and was going out to the same place I had just left).  I passed it to him, he still has it.  I later picked up an MOD Mk II and carried it through several several tours in Iraq and a few tdy's to Afghanistan.  I carried it in my pocket for a couple years after I retired, then passed it to my youngest son who's in the BP.  I like to keep a small, sharp pocket knife on me to help with chores, but no longer have much interest in a fighting type folder.

Ther are a lot of simple clip point 3" bladed auto knives that aren't "fighting-blade" knives. Kershaw Colonial and SOG are putting out some sweet working style knives. For example, SOG has an auto that's a sweeping curved blade and another with a clip point design.

Ther are a lot of great  autos out there.

Scott

Sheepdog

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 04:01:11 AM »

Sheepdog:

There's nothing quite as satisfying as hearing the "snap" of an auto knife blade stopping in the open position. ;) Believe me when I tell you that there's a real comfort when you know the blade has locked in the open position. I have a Colonial Model  #550 (made in the U.S. of A) with a Black Oxide 440C  (58Rc hardness) blade that stays sharp and has a Lifetime Warranty. $69.95 + shipping (MSRP) is a darned good value for the money.

www.colonialknifecorp.com

Look it up. You won't be disappointed.

Scott

Beautiful! (but that top edge being sharpened makes it a "dagger" under TX law and prohibits me carrying it. Makes me feel like a kid again. Mother, may I?

gunfan

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 11:12:29 AM »

The Colonial Model #550 is a clip point blade, not a dagger. It's based on the Model 724  Paratrooper's knife and only available by special order from Colonial. These are a great personal auto. These knives can be ordered in solid black oxide hardware. A coil-fired auto of this nature keeps a low profile, yet produces a great edge-holding blade with the slide of a ratcheting safety and the press of a plunge-lock button.

Try it, you'll like it!

Scott

Sheepdog

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 12:59:50 PM »

I clicked on the link you gave me, and the knife that came up is sharpened partway up the backside.-in TX, that's a dagger.

I googled the 550 and found pictures of it, and no, it is not two-edged-but not nearly as pretty as the one you linked me to, either. The one in the link probably costs a wee bit more, too.

gunfan

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 01:25:57 PM »

Colonial doesn't make a dagger profile auto blade. If you call their number, they'll confirm this.

Scott

Sheepdog

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 02:14:40 PM »

You sent me a link when you told me about the auto knife-when you open the link, there's a two-edged blade-which isn't the knife you were talking about. Why you didn't post a link for the knife you wanted me to see-I don't know-but I've since seen a picture of the knife you were talking about. I know what you're saying now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4