Shooters Freehold

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Shooters Freehold! A place for firearms enthusiasts to gather.

Author Topic: Another "Herloom" knife from my late Father....  (Read 681 times)

Blammer

• Global Moderator
Another "Herloom" knife from my late Father....
« on: November 04, 2015, 10:41:45 AM »

Pre WWII, the Old Man kept this in his tackle box for years & I used it on occasion over the years. Remember he told me he'd bought it in a Atlanta store in the early 30's. It turned up at the bottom of one of his trunks that I unpacked & putin he back of my chest of drawers - ANYWAY:
Its a Sheath knife in its original sheath, stamp on the sheath reads "PAL" & the 5'x 11/4'x 1/8 blade is stamped "PAL 34"
Appears to be a stick tang with a series of stacked leather washers on 3' of its handle with red composition washers at each end - the 1' buttcap appears to be maple & the guard and cap end are of steel. Blade is high carbon steel, probably A1 or A2.
Closest I could find in pics were the Navy Pilots knives. This one is pre WWII & SHARP! = shaved hairs off my arm with it  out of the sheath.
Anyone know anything about PAL knives?
Most of the social history of the Western World, over the past three decades has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.
Thomas Sowell

gunfan

Re: Another "Herloom" knife from my late Father....
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:26:24 PM »

They've been aaround for a long time and were prevelent until WWII and were literally "drafted into service". There were military knives manufactured by PAL Army/Navy/Marines/Army Air Corps (pre Air Force).

There is a lot of information available from people on Blade Forums and other knife sites. A great deal on line at your fingetips. If you engage in a bit of research, you can learn a lot.

Happy hunting!
"The Administation of Justice should be tempered by mercy, but mercy shouldn't interfere with the Administration of Justice" -Gunfan

"Living well is the best revenge". - George Herbert