Shooters Freehold

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Shooters Freehold! A place for firearms enthusiasts to gather.

Author Topic: And yet another fish story  (Read 710 times)

badlabs

And yet another fish story
« on: October 05, 2015, 08:20:16 PM »

While on Vacation in RI, I had the good fortune to be eating at Evelyn's clam shack in Tiverton and got to shoot these Osprey busily catching fish in the bay we were near. The fish are menhaden, of the herring family. There were 6 different osprey working the waters but i got this one pretty well.

badlabs
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:22:00 PM by badlabs »
USAF 1973-77

NRA Life/Endowment Member

American Legion - Honor Guard Member

badlabs

Re: And yet another fish story
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:24:33 PM »

a couple more. osprey re-position the catch in their talons , head first into the wind while in flight for aerodynamic purposes.

Pretty clever birds.

badlabs
USAF 1973-77

NRA Life/Endowment Member

American Legion - Honor Guard Member

Stevejet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 01:24:21 AM »

Amazing to watch nature at work, outside the neighborhood.

But here we are, about a mile from Huntington Beach - in Fountain Valley - and in a tract neighborhood built in the early 1960's, we now have coyotes, raccoons, possums, owls, hawks and lately mating pairs of Mallard ducks, all carrying on their activities. They must not know this is Kalifornia "beach community"!

budroe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 08:41:09 AM »

Times change.  I grew up in a very rural environment in eastern N.C.  Live in a continuously growing neighborhood 60-70 miles from Houston these days.  I see more deer every morning while walking the Pups than I used to see in an entire deer season back home.  No matter what, the damn coons and possums get into the garbage can almost nightly.  During the Spring, we have an armadillo who loves to camp out in the culvert under our driveway - he moved into the wooded lot next door to us during/after the recent heavy rains.  He still came over daily to get the sliced apples and veggies the Missus leaves out for him.  He's now moved to his summer retreat, but we expect him back in the Fall.  Our Pups ignore the deer, possums, coons and armadillos - but they raise holy hell anytime the electric or gas guy comes around to read the meters.
Shoot, Move and Communicate!!!

Northtidesix

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 03:58:41 PM »

It took me a minute or two to realize what this was.  These are pictures of a bird with and external fuel tank.  Think about it. ;)