Shooters Freehold

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Shooters Freehold! A place for firearms enthusiasts to gather.

Author Topic: Got a drawerfull of folding knives!  (Read 787 times)

Blammer

• Global Moderator
Got a drawerfull of folding knives!
« on: August 14, 2015, 01:43:45 PM »

Among the stash are three or four Blackie Collins assisted opening lockblades & a neat Thiers "Rotosphere" knife that could be a gravity knife - except for the tension adjusting nut on the swivel = tighten the adjusting screw to hold the 3.5" blade firm enough between the olivewood scales. One hand opener in that you have to rotate the "sphere" on the end of the blade with your thumb to open the knife & get it to a friction-fit in the concave cutouts on either sides of the wood handle scales.
I suppose I could loosen  the tension enough to allow the blade to fall out by gravity & lock it into place with a wrist snap, but I'd have to keep it in a pocket sheath to keep it from opening in my pocket... as is, I keep it adjusted "tight".
Simple idea...Requires a little practice getting used to the maneuvering one handed.
Most of the social history of the Western World, over the past three decades has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.
Thomas Sowell

Sheepdog

Re: Got a drawerfull of folding knives!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 09:18:25 PM »

Never had seen the Theirs before-interesting. Drilled with a pigtail of leather, I'd carry that. I'd open it against my leg. Quite neat.

Back in the when, I'd carry a Puma green folder-they were loose enough a leather pigtail pulled it from my back pocket with my little finger-and a flick of the wrist opened/locked it-a springless switchblade-never touched the blade to open it. Several Puma models opened that way-right out of the box. Don't see Puma much anymore.

Just checked their site-they have changed! The Prince is still made in Germany-the Warden, and a green one I forget the name of-no more. They used bradded brass pins for assembly. Most of their line now is $30 down "inexpensive" knives. I used to pay around $70  1971 dollars for their knives. Just like Lava soap-had it right then started "improving" it. Shame.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:28:44 PM by Sheepdog »