Shooters Freehold

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Shooters Freehold! A place for firearms enthusiasts to gather.

Author Topic: New Holster For My Combat Commander  (Read 100 times)

budroe

• Administrator
New Holster For My Combat Commander
« on: August 12, 2018, 12:47:34 PM »

Been looking for another holster for my Combat Commander, something fairly easy to conceal under a shirt tail for OWB carry.  Always like Bianchi products while the man was alive and running the company.  Since the company has been out of his hands (think he retired in 1993), pretty much all Bianchi holsters I've handled seem to have gone to crap.  Light, overly flexible leather and appears the suede holster lining has been replaced with a heavy grade of sandpaper.

Have seen a number of ads for John Bianchi's Frontier Gunleather, a small one man company he started after his retirement to make custom Western rigs.  Over the years its grown a bit with several original Bianchi holsters being modified a bit (imagine to beat any legal charges) and added to the inventory.  For the past couple years I've been meaning to order a Vulcan holster (a modified version of his original Askin's Avenger).  Finally got off my butt a couple weeks back and ordered one.  Got it in last week.  Fit and finish of the holster is first rate, better quality (heavier) leather than any Bianchi holster I've seen in recent years.  Got the smooth leather lining; again very high quality work.  Wrapped my Colt in light plastic and left it in the holster for a couple days.  Fit is now perfect, the gun is still held securely in place - but draw from the holster is smooth and quick.  I really like this rig.

If anyone here is an old Bianchi fan, or just looking for an excellent leather holster, belt or combo I strongly recommend you check these boys to see what they have to offer!!  frontiergunleather.com
Shoot, Move and Communicate!!!

jim_s

• Resident Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
Re: New Holster For My Combat Commander
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 01:16:27 PM »

That one looks great!  My Commander needs a new holster.

Not having a retention strap worries me. You think my gun will stay in the holster if I do some backflips when I dance?
The United States Constitution 1787. All Rights Reserved
Sometimes I'm fast. Most of the time I'm half fast!
Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate
They should put more bacon in the package so there's enough for 2
facta non verba

budroe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 08:14:53 PM »

Well, at least you won't be packing a Glock - which, of course wouldn't have fired if the idiot hadn't tried to catch the gun by its trigger.  I haven't tried any backflips, but my Commander seems to be well secured.
Shoot, Move and Communicate!!!

Brian D.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 07:33:09 PM »

It's made of some kind of leather-looking laminate, but the Safariland model 5198 works very well. Paddle design, tension adjustment screw. Available for a bunch of semiautos, and the S&W frame revolvers, about $28.
'Whoever said life is fair?"

--The motto of my group of shooting pals, when we set up tough practice drills for each other.

Freehold Marshal

• Chief Site Admin
  • Administrator
    • shootersfreehold.com
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 08:04:41 PM »

As soon as I get things set up in my new shop I'll be making a new holster for my Springfield MilSpec. We have open carry here and I've never open carried the Springfield Which I'll be doing while roaming around out in the desert.
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?