Shooters Freehold

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Shooters Freehold! A place for firearms enthusiasts to gather.

Author Topic: The Good Old Days!!!  (Read 428 times)

budroe

• Administrator
The Good Old Days!!!
« on: April 13, 2018, 04:54:29 PM »

Bought my first 1911 like this, out of the back of a catalog. Used my Dad's name and bought it COD with no problems from our rural route mail carrier. I really believe mine was never fired - certainly didn't appear to have been.   Kept it til I went to Nam, disappeared while I was away.  Always wondered which of my dear relatives (probably one of my POS uncles) walked away with it.

Shoot, Move and Communicate!!!

Freehold Marshal

• Chief Site Admin
  • Administrator
    • shootersfreehold.com
Re: The Good Old Days!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 07:38:03 PM »

I remember seeing the ads in the pre 68 gun magazines. There was never any crime wave associated with having guns delivered to your door, and no background checks. Don't ya wish you had bought a truck load of em?
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

budroe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 05:42:14 AM »

Well, I chopped a lot of wood and weeded a lot of gardens to afford mine.  I ordered it in 1965 or 1966.  My Dad was a bit surprised when I showed it to him, but had no problems with me getting it.  I already had a revolver, or maybe two.  He thought a rifle would have been a smarter choice, but I had a Marlin 60 .22LR and an old Mauser 7mm I'd bought off a rack in a drugstore in town - think it cost $7.00.  I got the Mauser when I was 12 and killed at least one deer with it every season til I left home for the Army. Never bought a shotgun while I was a kid, but we had several in the house.  I didn't do much bird hunting, maybe a few quail I got with my Marlin.  The Marlin was instant death on rabbits.  I remember when I bought the 1911, surplus ammo for  it was $1.75/box; I really got worried when it went up to $2.25 or so.

Freehold Marshal

• Chief Site Admin
  • Administrator
    • shootersfreehold.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 09:21:54 AM »

The first firearm that I bought with my own money was a Remington model 788 in 30-30 Winchester with a K-4 Weaver scope on it. I spent the summer bucking hay bales for the neighbors and saving up the money. I'd been using a model 94 Winchester 30-30 borrowed from a cousin during deer season, that particular lever gun had a tendency to randomly kick a round out of the magazine that would get tangled up in the open lever mechanism and take about 15 minutes of fiddling to clear, so it was a pleasure moving to that bolt action. That Remington was dead accurate too and capable of producing 3 shot cloverleaf groups @100 yards. I also had a single shot Remington model 514 .22 rifle, that I used to collect the ten cent bounty on ground squirrels to cover my ammo fund. I had been given my Grandpa's old 1890's era Colt SAA and began my cartridge reloading with a couple of the old LEE loaders in .45 Colt and 30-30 Win Like you Jesse I didn't own a shotgun til after I was an adult as we had several in the house including an old LC Smith 10 gauge hammergun.

budroe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 01:49:40 PM »

I think one of the biggest mistakes Remington ever made (not counting all the debacles they've come up with this century) was went they quit making the model 788.  In any caliber it was an extremely accurate and well made rifle.  The little .350 magnum would handle anything on this continent.

Freehold Marshal

• Chief Site Admin
  • Administrator
    • shootersfreehold.com
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 04:33:35 PM »

That 1st 788 has always been the one I regretted selling the most as that was the rarest caliber for them. Since then I've owned two other 788's both in 22/250 Rem Both served as coyote rifles in the gun rack of my pickup.