Shooters Freehold

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Shooters Freehold! A place for firearms enthusiasts to gather.

Author Topic: Experiencing Delays in Response to "Copy/Paste and Spell Check" editing  (Read 226 times)

Stevejet

• Global Moderator

I went on vacation on the 18th of August and upon return a week later, about 25th, I discovered my mouse Rt, Click  commands for Copy, Paste or Spell Check activation of the pop-up window is now delayed by 3 to 20 seconds and often Spell Check, though the words are red-underlined, the Rt. Click often has little to no effect. This happened over on NGF forum first.

I have run all diagnostics for Windows 7,and PC Matic and no faults are evident, nor are any drivers indicated.

However, the mouse Rt. Click command responses for Copy/Past or Spell Check while tested in Microsoft Word are all immediate and work quickly as expected.

I switched to a cordless mouse last February but no problems have ever arisen until just now.

From the 18th thru the 25th I didn't watch one minute of television. Did something happen nationally that I should know about that could have this effect?

jim_s

• Resident Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
Re: Experiencing Delays in Response to "Copy/Paste and Spell Check" editing
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:54:45 PM »

I went on vacation on the 18th of August and upon return a week later, about 25th, I discovered my mouse Rt, Click  commands for Copy, Paste or Spell Check activation of the pop-up window is now delayed by 3 to 20 seconds and often Spell Check, though the words are red-underlined, the Rt. Click often has little to no effect. This happened over on NGF forum first.

I have run all diagnostics for Windows 7,and PC Magic and no faults are evident, nor are any drivers indicated.

However, the mouse Rt. Click command responses for Copy/Past or Spell Check while tested in Microsoft Word are all immediate and work quickly as expected.

I switched to a cordless mouse last February but no problems have ever arisen until just now.

From the 18th thru the 25th I didn't watch one minute of television. Did something happen nationally that I should know about that could have this effect?

I just edited my copy of your post. It changed "matic" to magic in less than a second. ???

I'm using an ipad ios 10.3.3. I have a Win 7 box in my office. I'll give it a try in the morning.

As far as television, you didn't miss much. Most of it would just have upset you :(
The United States Constitution 1787. All Rights Reserved
Sometimes I'm fast. Most of the time I'm half fast!
Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate
They should put more bacon in the package so there's enough for 2
facta non verba

jim_s

• Resident Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 04:55:28 AM »

Justchecked on Win 7. Works fine.

How about downloading the trial version of malwarebytes?  14 days free to sort any problems.
facta non verba

Stevejet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 11:01:51 AM »

I'm testeeng Spell Check now. Placed my cursor on "teesting" and though Spell Check pop-up came on, it delayed about 15 seconds. I have diabled my recently added PC Matic in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox (Firefox is my browser for Shooters Freehold) and am going to test the words I have bolded.

Okay. I Spell Check tested the bolded/highlighted words and on two attempts the pop-up window failed to even appear. On three other attempts the pop-up window with suggested word corrections appeared after delays of 10, 15 and 20 seconds.

I am leery of adding in any other "corrective action" programs as you and others have suggested. I'd rather keep the problem isolated as is and not muddy it with add-ons.

This is being worked over at NGF by their admins at this time for that site. Thanks, Jim.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:08:59 AM by Stevejet »

jim_s

• Resident Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 12:46:29 PM »

I'm testeeng Spell Check now. Placed my cursor on "teesting" and though Spell Check pop-up came on, it delayed about 15 seconds. I have diabled my recently added PC Matic in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox (Firefox is my browser for Shooters Freehold) and am going to test the words I have bolded.

Okay. I Spell Check tested the bolded/highlighted words and on two attempts the pop-up window failed to even appear. On three other attempts the pop-up window with suggested word corrections appeared after delays of 10, 15 and 20 seconds.

I am leery of adding in any other "corrective action" programs as you and others have suggested. I'd rather keep the problem isolated as is and not muddy it with add-ons.

This is being worked over at NGF by their admins at this time for that site. Thanks, Jim.

Strange. Worked fine for me when you first posted. Now the pop up correction never appears. When I touched the words the pop up box finally shows up. 

We're running v2.0.13 released January 2017. 2.0.14 is available. Maybe we need to upgrade. 
facta non verba

Stevejet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 09:19:48 PM »

This "delays/no shows" of requested Copy/Paste, Spell Check commands has been exhausting, and still no respite.

If you enter the subject of "Cut/Paste. Spell Check, edit delays" in a Search Engine window, you will find many examples of reports concerning this and today's exchange over at NGF as listed by Google.

Freehold Marshal

• Chief Site Admin
  • Administrator
    • shootersfreehold.com
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 07:36:35 AM »

Steve:
I too am running Windows 7 Pro and Mozilla Firefox. I suspect that the issue is related to Firefox as I've also seen Lag and delays in posting and also some issues with Spell Check. This site runs the latest version of Simple Machines software while NGF runs VB4 two very different software platforms. I've recently seen some other sites mention that Firefox users were having issues
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Stevejet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 12:57:35 PM »

This occurs in both Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox browsers, Mike.

The fact that Copy/Paste & Spell Check features operate as expected outside of these browsers and forums tells me it is in these "systems" of browsers and forums. Pretty simple. Not so simple to remedy, evidently.

jim_s

• Resident Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 01:45:51 PM »

Mike, not working in Safari either. ios 10.3.3

facta non verba

Stevejet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 02:06:47 AM »

Firefox "updates", loaded automatically by them as I booted up have been incorporated about 4 or five days back and everything works fine now.