The Armoury > Handguns

Derringers

(1/6) > >>

Freehold Marshal:
I saw a few posts on the board that got me to thinking about this topic especially a couple posts that mentioned the DA High Standard Derringer. Lots of folks would like to see those make a comeback. The good news is that the design is under production in two versions by American Derringer.
  Here is their offering in .22 Mag. they also offer a DA model in .38 Special and in .40 S&W. If you're gonna carry a Derringer type pistol in my view these are the most practical design in terms of ease of use.
I've owned two of their Derringers that are based on the old Remington design.

Even though they are a good solid design I don't recommend them for defensive carry. They are concealable enough but their grip doesn't offer much to hold onto especially when trying to cock the hammer they have damn stiff main springs. Cocking one of these is not something you would want to attempt under pressure. I had two of them one in .44 Special the other in .357 Mag. Believe me those small grips don't handle well under heavy recoil.
Here is a link to their site
http://www.amderringer.com/guns.html

Bond Arms makes a larger version based on the Remington design more grip to hold onto but still difficult to hold onto while cocking the hammer one handed. This pistol is as large as many of the smaller semi autos being carried for defense these days. I'd probably opt for one of Semi Auto's over the Derringer platform.
http://bondarms.com/bond-arms-handguns/ranger-ii/

http://northamericanarms.com/firearms/magnums/mag/m.html
Though its not a derringer the little NAA mini revolver deserves consideration These are a quality little gun my only complaints are the tiny grip which causes difficulty cocking the hammer. Its actually funny watching someone shoot one of the .22 mag models as recoil is enough combined with the tiny grips as to almost cause the revolver to come flying out of the shooters hand. As funny as it is to watch these little guns actually require a two handed grip to control.
All the guns I've mentioned here are of quality manufacture and they might just work out for some people. Other than the DA derringer the others wouldn't really interest me for defensive carry.

gunfan:
These are interesting. I have one of the single shot Leniad .410 bore/.45 Colt Derringers. "A single shot will do ya".

Scott

budroe:
One time I literally had to stick a little HS .22 mag. in a guy's ear and pull the trigger.  I didn't feel too bad, he was trying to cut me with a knife at the time, and we were down on the ground rolling around.  I don't care for the SA derringers.  In my situation I don't know if I could have manipulated the hammer in time to get a shot off.  At that range, I don't think a .460 Weatherby Magnum would have got the job done better.  They can really mess with your hearing!!!

If anyone tries the new DA model, and it works well - please let me know.  I would never carry one as a primary, but as a BUG it could come in very handy.

deputy:
i had emailed American Derringer some time back and inquired about the da22 and the da38.

the da22 was not in production nor did they give a start-up date.

the da 38 was available immediately. Don't remember the price but it was i think somewhere north of $600. Many years back had an uncle who had one.........very nice. Of course back then pocket gun selection was rather limited.

gunfan:

--- Quote from: budroe on July 23, 2015, 08:00:58 PM ---One time I literally had to stick a little HS .22 mag. in a guy's ear and pull the trigger.  I didn't feel too bad, he was trying to cut me with a knife at the time, and we were down on the ground rolling around.  I don't care for the SA derringers.  In my situation I don't know if I could have manipulated the hammer in time to get a shot off.  At that range, I don't think a .460 Weatherby Magnum would have got the job done better.  They can really mess with your hearing!!!

If anyone tries the new DA model, and it works well - please let me know.  I would never carry one as a primary, but as a BUG it could come in very handy.

--- End quote ---

How long did it take to bury the SOB? I'd be willing to bet the report took a while to tell the whole tale. It probably took longer to clean up after the incident. Yecch!

Scott

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version