Shooters Freehold

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Shooters Freehold! A place for firearms enthusiasts to gather.

Author Topic: I have the KaBar Mark 1 version of the Deck Knife (#2221, Kraton Handle).  (Read 1710 times)

gunfan

I adore this knife! This is the FIRST purpose-purchased sheath knife I have owned. This knife's history goes back 85 years (circa 1930) wher it was patterned after the hunting knives of the period. When the War Department pressed the design into service in 1943, the Navy was the lucky branch to receive the called, "Knife, General Purpose". This was produced by about 6 different vendor/manufacurers. (Colonial,  Camillus, Schrade  and PAL being among them). These knives were superseded by the Mark 2 in 1945, but the USN Mark 1 Deck Knife remained in the USN inventory and was still available for issue until 1975. (I have even heard some stories of the Mark 1 being issued as late as 1977).

The KaBar Mark 1 is manufactured from 1095 Chromium/Vanadium Carbon Steel. The darned thng was "shaving sharp" right out of the box. I  can't get over how perfectly the knife fits my hand. It handles like a dream, and it's 5 1/8" blade length is not too long, nor is it too short. It is just right for hunting (both large and small game)/bushcraft/survival/fishing general use. It doesn't look like a "killing knife"  but it's distinguished service on the deck of ships, with the UDT/SEALS,  during WW2, Korea and the Vietnam Conflict speaks volumes for the patterns utility, regardless of the circumstances. Modern metallurgy makes the KaBar Mark 1 a superb knife "for all seasons".

Take it from an old sailor... buy one, you'll wonder how you managed to get along without it!

Scott
"The Administation of Justice should be tempered by mercy, but mercy shouldn't interfere with the Administration of Justice" -Gunfan

"Living well is the best revenge". - George Herbert

Freehold Marshal

• Chief Site Admin
  • Administrator
    • shootersfreehold.com

KaBars are great knives I still have my issue USMC KaBAr and my Navy issue KaBar. Also have a Gerber MKll that I picked up back in the 70's
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Blammer

• Global Moderator

a keepsake from my late father (WWII vet of the Pacific Theater battles of Bouganville & the Battle of Manila) = a trenchknife he brought back after the war, a 67/8ths blade with leather discs between the guard & the Buttcacp - US & Ordanance poofmarks had been stamped to obliterate them, but are still identifiable. = still have the knife in its original leather sheath. Never got the Old Man to explain how he got the sheath from rotting  out in the tropical  heat.
Closest I've. seen in Gun mags is the M4 bayonet for the M2/M2 carbines.
Most of the social history of the Western World, over the past three decades has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.
Thomas Sowell

gunfan

KaBars are great knives I still have my issue USMC KaBAr and my Navy issue KaBar. Also have a Gerber MKll that I picked up back in the 70's

The Marine KaBars are great knives, but tend to be a bit awkward for civilian/utility use. The 7"  blade length isn't conducive to fine work. If you're in a "battlefield setting" the Marine KaBar's length and configuration can be useful, but when it comes to a civilian setting (bushcraft/hunting/camping/fishing a more conventional "hunting" (standard 'clip point') type blade is easier to use. This is where the Mark 1 shines

Scott

"The Administation of Justice should be tempered by mercy, but mercy shouldn't interfere with the Administration of Justice" -Gunfan

budroe

• Administrator

I still have my issue Camillus from Nam.
Shoot, Move and Communicate!!!

gunfan

I still have my issue Camillus from Nam.

Is that grand old USN Mark 1 Deck Knife (or Marine knife) made from1095 Carbon steel?

Scott