Shooters Freehold

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Shooters Freehold! A place for firearms enthusiasts to gather.

Author Topic: Max loads  (Read 488 times)

kobs

• Reload=more PEW PEW
Max loads
« on: August 09, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »

I also asked the exact same Q at CGN since a lot of peoples are still over there but i'm going to post it here too
Just wondering, what are the guidelines for a max load in a recipe, (For handgun rounds) meaning what stopped them from going higher?
Shouldn't be the strength of the gun firing the round, they're all different, shouldn't be the brass itself, it's supported by the cylinder walls.

Anyone has a clue?
I wear a smile on my face but there's a demon inside - Five finger death punch

Artie1957

Re: Max loads
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 05:41:12 PM »

Your post count is a palindrome...
I am to new to reloading to answer your question, sorry.
AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL

kobs

• Reload=more PEW PEW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 07:31:28 PM »

I am kinda new at this too but I have tons of questions, the kind that makes peoples go "just do as it says if you want to live longer" loll

Northtidesix

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 06:22:58 AM »

Kobs, I have always viewed the max loads as the line drawn by the publishers for the safest pressures for the weakest guns.  Having said that you can find loading data that specifies various firearms. i.e. .45/70 for the Marlin 1895 but NOT for the Springfield trap door.  Obviously a T/C Contender with a break action, and 3/8" of steel wrapped around the cartridge will handle a hotter .357 mag than a S&W Model 19 K frame.  The minimum load I believe is based on the accuracy of the various bullets with a weight, configuration, and barrel twist.  The maximums are also based on those factors PLUS the added consideration for chamber pressure.  That is an awful lot of force and heat awfully close to things I want to keep like fingers, eyes, and what not. 

Many years ago I blew up a Ruger Black Hawk .44 magnum with a hot Unique cast bullet load.  Taught me a painful and expensive lesson.  Marksmanship is a contest to see who can shoot the most bullets into the smallest group.  It is not to see who can get the bullet to go the fastest, we do that at the race track.  Go Nascar. :D

kobs

• Reload=more PEW PEW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 07:57:53 AM »

Yep, found that out after thinking my GP100 was a cannon and after not even 2 years it looks like a 5 year old gun the forcing cone shows extensive wear and it's all my fault. Lesson learned, now I bought "A" cannon (S&W460 magnum) and treat it as a firearm, it will probably outlast me but I enjoy shooting 454 Casull in it and rather light reloads of 460 which still gets attention at the range.

Northtidesix

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 05:37:55 PM »

My days of shooting the hand cannons is more than likely over.  I still shoot my S&W 29-2 6 1/2   .44 mag, but mostly with the 240 wad cutter or semi wad cutter cast bullets.  That Wad cutter makes the cartridge look like a brass thrash can with a silver lid.    I can't remember when I didn't have a .44 mag on the head board of my bed. 
My other option is the Colt Delta Elite 10mm that I talked Colt out of back in 1993.  I shoot that one for sheer enjoyment.  It will eat the center of a B-10 target at 25 yds.  210 grain cast bullet load.  This is probably why I have arthritis in both hands and wrist.  Well that an Hittin' Folks that wanted to fight when I was much younger.  Oh well.   

kobs

• Reload=more PEW PEW
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 04:51:39 AM »

Those are nice guns  North :)

Northtidesix

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 09:23:11 AM »

Thank you sir.  They are also a mite "Spunky" with the recoil when loaded with factory loads.  That 29 can be down right painful.

Stevejet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 08:38:40 AM »

The SAAMI Spec link from Kryptonite is excellent and contains the latest answers.