Shooters Freehold

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Shooters Freehold! A place for firearms enthusiasts to gather.

Author Topic: Prairie Home Companion Retires  (Read 462 times)

Stevejet

• Global Moderator
Prairie Home Companion Retires
« on: July 07, 2016, 08:19:06 PM »

I didn't know until Sunday past that Garrison Keillor and company performed their last Prairie Home Companion broadcast on this past Friday, July 1st, from the Hollywood Bowl before 18,000 fans.  The paper remarked that the show was not markedly different from most of the programs broadcast over 42 years of Companion.

I liked the program mostly, especially when I was out driving in Texas on weekends to Goliad or Fanin's Battleground, Llano in the hill country north of San San Antonio or to the USS Lexington in Corpus Christi.

Life of the Cowboys, Guy Noir - Private Eye (searching for the answers to life's persistent questions) and the letters from Lake Wobegon were some of the best radio ever produced. But now, no more "Powdermilk Biscuits, made from the wheat grown by Norwegian bachelor farmers so you know they're 100% pure, mostly", nor any more "Bebop-rebop-rhubarb pie".

Actually, according to the news report, new episodes will begin airing in October but with an updated format and will be hosted by Chris Thile. So maybe it's a New Companion we'll be able to tune into.

Keillor, 73, will go on to do concerts and is working on a "Wobegon" screenplay.   
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:47:33 PM by Stevejet »

Brian D.

Re: Prairie Home Companion Retires
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 08:44:07 AM »

I always thought it sort of pseudo-intellectual and highbrow. Plus, Keillor is a lefty in all the ways I can't abide. He rarely talked political issues but yeah, he was anti gun.
'Whoever said life is fair?"

--The motto of my group of shooting pals, when we set up tough practice drills for each other.

Stevejet

• Global Moderator
Re: Prairie Home Companion Retires
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 02:49:37 PM »

Yet, like those Powder Milk Biscuits, his shows entertainment value was "100% Pure, mostly".